Welcome!

Saturday, May 10, 2014

Devotional and Some Thoughts for Saturday

Do not resist or run from the difficulties in your life. These problems are not random mistakes; they are hand-tailored blessings designed for your benefit and growth. Embrace all the circumstances that I allow in your life, trusting Me to bring good out of them. View problems as opportunities to rely more fully on me.

When  you start to feel stressed, let those feelings alert you to your need for me. Thus, your needs become doorways to deep dependence on Me and increasing intimacy between us. Although self-sufficiency is acclaimed in the world, reliance on Me produces abundant living in My kingdom. Thank Me for the difficulties in your life, since they provide protections from the idolatry of self-reliance.

I am the vine, you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing.   JOHN 15:5




Just sharing some of what I've been reading this morning, mostly so that I can look back and remind myself of some of these truths.

 I look at the picture above taken on our trip up to Welkom, and see the trees standing proud, reaching towards the sky and the beautiful sunset. The branches are almost bare, but entwined between some of them are birds nests, and spider webs, indicating life and support. It's a reminder to me that I want to be the branch that remains in my Vine, receiving support and life from Him.

I have been reading from Charles Stanley's book, How to Handle Prayer, and this morning read how certain things can hinder God from hearing us. Not because He CAN'T hear, but because he WON'T if these things are in place :

Selfishness : if we are stingy, God's blessings will stop. If we refuse to help those in need and yet expect God to bless us financially because we are "good" people, go to church, pray, etc. then we are simply hypocrites! I think about how many times I haven't wanted to give that little extra because I'm scared I won't get through at the end of the month. Well, this journey of ours has surely taught me many things. At this stage, none of us have an income, so whatever is there, is not going to be replaced on a monthly basis. But you know what? I'm ok with that now. God has been teaching me that to rely on Him for our every need is the most important thing. It is the most freeing experience. No income but also no bills, no stress, just depending on Him for each day.

Matthew 6:26  Look at the birds of the air; they do not sow or reap or store away in barns, and yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not much more valuable than they?


I look a the Hadeda Ibis that simply landed in my parents' garden and all it needed was provided. I think it ate up every single earthworm and bug over a two day period!  If God can provide for one as small as this, how can I even think that He won't provide for me!


Indifference to God's Word :  if we are indifferent to God's word, He won't answer our prayers. His word is His letter to us.  We need to :
-  constantly seek the deeper truths of Scripture;
- apply it to our lives
- delight in His word
- pray for understanding

CLOSED BIBLE = CLOSED HEAVEN


Unconfessed Sin

Unconfessed sin short-circuits prayer.

ISAIAH 59:1-2  
Surely the arm of the Lord is not too short to save,
    nor his ear too dull to hear.
But your iniquities have separated
    you from your God;
your sins have hidden his face from you,
    so that he will not hear.


He will not move, even if we pray and pray. He will wait for us to confess our sins so that we can be cleansed.

What is worth more to you : holding on to a sin, or an unhindered relationship with Him?





The power of the ocean (as seen in this picture taken in Cape Town), reminds me of the power of prayer - when we pray in the right state of mind, and open to all we have, it is incredibly powerful. I saw the rocks and how they have been smoothed by the constant movement of the waves over time. So should our prayers be constant in order for us to unleash the power that God intends.

Philippians 4:6-7 do not be anxious about anything, but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known to God. And the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus.

Prayer is a shield to the soul, a sacrifice to God, and a scourge for Satan. ~ John Bunyan

No comments:

Post a Comment